Vintage | Bed & Breakfast | Guest House | Honeymoon Suite
- Enjoy Champagne Breakfast in bed or in front of the fire.
- Breakfast can be served overlooking the valley.
- A Breakfast basket for you to take into the forest is another option.
- You may want to relax in the pool and be served a leisurely breakfast on the Victorian veranda with a birds’ eye view over the Umzimkulu River accompanied by the cry of the Fish Eagles. Many species of birds might join you for their own breakfast by feeding in the Fig Trees around the swimming pool.
Alice and the looking glass
This is not “Plastic Fantastic”, but food for the soul. If you want to find yourself and your partner again, there are very few places like this left anymore to do that in this hurly burly world of ours, but this is the place where they are waiting for you. Jeremy A, Durban
Accommodation Options and Rates
King Size Victorian Brass bed
Spacious room with large en-suite shower room with fireplace, TV, Coffee Station and Bar Fridge. Weekends and Season – R750.00 pppn sharing Mid Week out of Season – R700.00 pppn sharing
King Size bed
Spacious room with full en-suite Bathroom and shared balcony. Coffee Station / Bar Fridge, TV. Weekends and Season B&B – R750.00 pppn sharing Mid Week out of Season – R700.00 pppn sharing
Queen Size Victorian Brass bed
Cosy small room with en-suite shower room and small deck in the trees, TV, Coffee Station and Bar Fridge. Weekenrds and Season – R750.00 pppn sharing Mid Week out of Season – R700.00 pppn sharing
Queen Sized Four Poster bed (XL).
Shower room en-suite with Coffee Station / Bar Fridge and TV. Weekends and Season B&B – R750.00 pppn sharing Mid Week out of Season – R700.00 pppn sharing
Vintage Twin beds
Spacious room with en – suite shower room and shared balcony. Coffee Station / Bar Fridge & TV. Weekends and Season B&B – R750.00 pppn sharing Mid Week out of Season – R700.00 pppn sharing
NB: Rooms 3,4 and 5 are upstairs in the original house, have breathtaking views from the tall Victorian sash windows. All three lead off a private lounge. 50% Single Supplement applicable We regret, children under 12 are not catered for.
Inquire about Specials out of season.
A hidden world amongst the forest
Nestled amongst indigenous forest overlooking the Umtentweni river Royston Hall is a hidden jewel. The rooms are elegant, refurbished with a real intent to preserve the grand colonial splendour of the house. The welcome is warm, the beds are comfortable and the birdlife and scenery is immense. I only wish I could have stayed longer to explore the nature reserve! Nick D, London
A relaxing getaway just out of Durban
So last weekend we took a “short-left” to the peaceful surrounds of the Umtentweni river and stayed at the historical Royston Hall. We were welcomed by the two, my girlfriend calls them “horse-dogs”, of the biggest Dalmation dogs we’ve ever seen and the very friendly Ria. The meals were superb throughout our stay, with supper served with a lovely bottle of wine. Read more… Neo T, Durban
Glorious, Glorious Royston Hall!
As we drove down towards Royston Hall in a natural forest we knew something special lurked in these woods. And we were right! When we arrived at Royston Hall Guest House we were charmed by the grace and class of this most impressive Victorian Home. It felt like we had gone back in time and had entered the age of Kings and Queens. Read more… Magasman, Johannesburg
Abundant Bird Life | Beautiful Surroundings | On your doorstep
Perch for a while at Royston Hall Guest House on your KZN South Coast Birding Tour. Here you will feel as if they’ve landed in the warm nest home-from-home. Only 4 exclusive double suites are available for up to 8 guests + 1 single room for a tour operator. They will cater for your memorable birding experience according to your preference. Various excursions arranged from our Conservancy are on offer. Contact us for an exclusive tailor made Itinerary suited to the time of year. Migrate down South during a season of your choice and enjoy real South African hospitality at this 117 year old Victorian Manor house which offers excellent bird watching from every window and veranda. The Royston Hall Bird List sports 207 species.
Spend time with the birds
Meander down any of our Nature Trails and spend tranquil time observing the riot of bird life on our small private nature reserve nestled in tall coast forest. It has been said that spending time at RH is like being inside an Aviary with no fences! Registered Local Bird Guides are on call to accompany you by request, on any of the outings you wish to request ie:
- Short meanders on Royston Hall Nature Reserve to observe the forest birds, or sit next to the Umzimkulu river and watch the bird activity on the water.
- A walk via two train tunnels or along the river (3 Km) to the Port Shepstone County Club where a Bird Hide overlooks the wetland with and abundance of waterfowl is presently under construction.
- Continue (6 Km) to the Whale Watching Platform overlooking the Indian Ocean and see thousands of Pelagic birds plummeting into the surf during the internationally famous Sardine Run at winter time.
- River cruises by Barge at sunset. Catering is optional – a picnic basket with snacks and Sundowners or something more substantial is your option.
- Open water ocean excursions to view Pelagic birds – departing from RH.
- Barn Swallow Migration – watch them swarm in their millions and settle to perch in the reeded banks of nearby Estuaries.
- Trips to the Vulture Feeding Restaurant at Oribi Gorge which may include a drive through Lake Eland Game Reserve which has a wide diversity of birds and grazing animals – only 30 minutes’ drive from Royston Hall.
These outings are all available to walk locally by yourself or self-drive, by arrangement a knowledgeable Tour Operator can be booked.
We recommend our setting as perfect for ‘land-mark’ Small Birthday and Anniversary Victorian Breakfasts, Luncheons or Dinners. Champagne Bridal Showers or Hen’s Parties. Book Club meetings for the Ladies in a novel setting. Victorian High Tea is very popular with the Ladies. Victorian, because of the House, not because it is currently in Vogue! Royston Hall Guesthouse transports the guests to an era long forgotten, where loose leaf tea is served from silver tea pots and exquisite treats are served on beribboned three-tier cake stands decorated with fresh roses. Conservancy Nature Trails
B&B Guest House | Private Nature Reserve | Intimate Function Venue
Totally awesome, out of this world experience. Great hospitality and wonderful attention to detail in every aspect from the decor to our general well being as guests. The meals were deliciously scrumptious. We found the history of the home most Intriguing.. It was an all round delightful place to visit Kim Beeton
Come and stay with us
The History of Royston Hall
Captivating | Thrilling | Factual
A Colourful PastThe History of Royston Hall is a rich and colourful one that includes, love, honour, war and even murder. Click on the link below to view the full history of this wonderful landmark and the people who have called it home
News & Events
What's on | Happenings at Royston Hall | Updates
Contact Royston Hall
Get in touch with us | Plan your next memory
|Tel:||039 695 0083|
|Fax:||086 664 4456|
|Email:||email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Address:||Royston Lane, Umtentweni|
|Postal:||PO Box 1141, Umtentweni, 4235|
|GPS Co-ordinates||Latitude 30°42’43.71”S and Longtitude 30°26’52,59”E|
We would love to hear from you. Please fill in our contact form below to get in touch with us.